Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Thinking about Art, that compels you



Check it out! The Necessary Stage is back with their third MI Fringe Fest. For those who are familiar with Karl Marx's works, you will know that Marx has argued that Capitalism is "the necessary stage" to Communism. Well, I think capitalism is here to stay, and Marx never quite lived to complete his works. So his necessary stage is highly debatable. I don't think TNS is out there to convert Singapore to some strange happy communist land, but I think they like to push for changes in contemporary social issues in Singapore through art. The theme for this year is Art and Disability. Sounds like a good art fest to start 07.

Oh, I will be doing the module, "Politics, Art and Popular Culture", my first foray into a real 'Art' module in school. The prof who designed this module is one of the board of directors behind TNS. I guess I would be going for a few M1 events to understand a bit more about the interaction between politics and art. Anybody want to join me? Hopefully jimmy the pseudo arty fartso will not be so pseudo after the module. =p

http://www.singaporefringe.com/homepage.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home