Friday, July 07, 2006

I need energy

Was talking to my austrain friend, coco, last night, and we had an interesting exchange of views on universality and post modernism. Somehow that led to the question of God and he told me that he finds it hard to believe that Jesus should come down to earth as a 'white', and that he prefers to see God as some sort of 'energy' that transcends our cultural and social judgements. Coco has been searching for all sorts of answers and he has found it in this chinese philosophy that emphasizes love as a form of world-binding 'energy'.

Later today, we had a crash course on Tai Chi (don't ask me why they put it in the program, maybe it gives a sense of Oriental mysticism), and the Dutch master was talking about envisioning and transferring your 'energy' into all sorts of forms to regulate the balance between Mother Earth and the body. It is kinda funny the way they describe all these 'energy' business; I just felt that whatever the 'energy' did to me was to conjure some strange flatulence in my system. Okie... too much details...

One take away from the Tai Chi cum energy lesson was this exercise of focusing your attention onto a target and just walking towards it. While walking towards it, someone will try to stop you in your path by grabbing your leg with his hand. Apparently, if you focus your attention on your target strong enough, the obstacle (the grabbing hand) will post no resistance to you. However, if you focus on the obstacle instead, it will be hard for you to overcome the resistance.

I guess that is just normal aikido stuff. But perhaps there is some truth that if I constantly devote my attention on the obstacles ahead - which results in anxiety and stress - and not the end point, then I might be shortchanging myself in reaching my target. Maybe that is what Jesus meant when he says that it is futile to be anxious about life?

Anyway, I think it is hard to concentrate on anything in modernity. We are bombarded by so much new inputs and ideas and people everyday that it is difficult to concentrate on the original few things that define our passions and perspectives from the beginning. Life just seems to stream past in a blur vision and the end point becomes shifting and indefinite. I really find it hard to concentrate at times, 'concentrate' not in the study sense, but concentrate in moving in tandem with the Great Energy from above? Argh, I don't make sense today.

3 Comments:

At 1:31 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

energy's appealing simply because it's so abstract. like headaches. you can always claim to have a headache and get an mc for it, simply because there's no certain way of testing for it. not to put down people who really have headaches (read: clem), but i guess energy is the same. it's a nice concept, and it makes good sense, and you can't really say its not there.

we believe in what we cannot see as well, but that's where the firmness of His Word and the relevance and realness of His presence today makes all the difference. and that's where i'm gonna be directing my energy: )

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger astral said...

the kids pretty much zapped clem's energy in Korat...and mine too.. haha.. and he almost got a migraine coming back from korat. Hope he is getting good energy doing mission trips accounts back home.. hee hee

seems like me and my austrain friend are turning really into good buddies in this trip.. we shd be going to a 'coffeeshop' tmr in amsterdam ...gonna get lotsa energy smoking marijuana!!!! just kidding... i'll just take photos of the druggies...

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger kLeM said...

HEY! talk about talking behind people's backs huh? tsk tsk...

What's all these talk about energy, headaches and ME huh?

Anyway, the accounts just needs to be tidied up, everything made sense and tallied. It was the presence of the kids on the plane that caused excess energy to trigger a short circuit in my brain.

Yeah, so boo to excess energy.
(I am blabbering from a current bout of gastric flu I contracted while at the Varsity Christian Fellowship Freshman Orientation Camp 2 days ago. I suspect it might be a case of spiritual warfare.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home