Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Art of Self Censorship

You know that SIF debriefing strategy in which the leader will ask the members to reflect on the 'high low' of the day? I've adopted it in the last 2 mission trips that I've led; and it occured to me that God works through the high low of our lives in a timely and purposeful fashion. Maybe I experienced a low somewhere in the middle of the day, while listening to some meaningless lectures on the role of UN and EU in creating a 'better' world. I felt that the lecturer was delivering his stuff from a very very very Eurocentric perspective. Somehow experiencing the meaninglessness of a meaningless (secular) world triggered that silly old melancholy in me. Had to take stock of God's sovereignty by reflecting on the 'highs' that He has blessed me with in this trip, and praying through the 'lows' that stem largely from my own imagined consciousness. Kinda remembered this poem along the way; decided to omit the last two lines because I don't know what differences do my choices make.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I...

Robert Frost

2 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy,
Enjoyed reading your blog, especially the Robert Frost poem. But did you noticed you missed out the most important line right at the end?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger astral said...

heh...actually i kinda intentionally left the last line out....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home