Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Polish your gifts

A friend reminded me today that it is important to polish up the giftings that God has given us. Quite a refreshing thought to me. I usually assume that it is biblical to exercise your giftings on a regular basis, but I've never quite thought that it might be necessary to further improve our spiritual giftings. It reminded me of last week's lunch conversation with Andy, when he told me why he feels it is important to improve on the 'technicalities' of playing musical instruments, besides 'just' playing the instruments in a worshipping manner. "People will be less drawn to the mistakes that the musicians made and more focused towards the worshipping act itself". Of course there is also the reminder that one should not let his or her technical expertise become the focus of the worship itself.

So anyway, I was thinking what sort of gifts do I have? I always figure that I'm probably pretty ok with worship leading in a small group setting, praying for people, creating some sort of an 'inspirational' speech for the younger ones in cell. Someone once told me that I got the gift of faith. I haven't quite figured how that works, but I guess I sometimes display quite a bit of a radical faith in things that are related to church and otherwise as well.

Hmmm... but I think I have been lazy of late, and taken these gifts for granted, or trying to 'play them down' under the disguise of trying to be humble. It is really bad attitude coming out from my lack of discipline in quiet time. And it is funny how things in life can spiral out of control when I'm not rooted in God. It is one thing to take the night skiing plunge with a faith in God, it is quite another to take the plunge as means to test God's limits, or to take the plunge blindfolded. I have to deliver a sermon on missions on 6 May in youth service, cos pastor joshua is taking a short sabbatical for his bible college exams. I'm slightly worried now, because I am struggling with intellectual pride, insecurity and general laziness as well. Will be great if someone can proof-read my message and weed out all sorts of intellectual pride that are embedded in it.

10 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger JW said...

u're our "monkey man of faith" remember? ;)

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah! yesh... and we depleted ah-jan's stock of toothpicks :)

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bo dai means bo dai!

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah-jan goes online???!!!!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger vic said...

oh my... memories.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... and french dinner by the Mekong river :)

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger JW said...

ah... yes! cutting up trees at ARDA? :P

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah... with a miserable 'penknife'.. no wonder i hack off the wooden handle itself... ;(

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where are my toothpicks?!

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

an jua pa sah lao bo dai... bo dai means bo dai!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home