Saturday, March 18, 2006

Reasons for rejuvenation

Went for the preaching workshop today at St Andrew Cathedral's new 'fangled' (new word I learnt today) building. I thought it was an eye opening perspective on 'expository preaching'. I guess I've always wanted to spend some effort in extracting the 'exegesis' and 'hermeneutics' of the bible, but a lack of motivation, time, prayer and resources sometimes make the bible studying process a pretty baneful one. But I think today's workshop opened up a perspective that I do not need to be a historian or theologian or language expert or a jurgen habermas to make the bible come alive. All it needs is a really astute sense of the bible's context and an attitude of humility that all verses - I dare say including the genealogies - are profitable, to extract the depth of the bible.

I think I do malign my own faith once in a while, due to the lack of insight into the bible. Maybe that is why i find it hard sometimes to really explain to my unchurched friends some of the Christian issues that they themselves are curious about.

The Singapore film festival is coming soon, but as usual, it is right smack in the middle of the pre exam season. Nonetheless, I think I'll probably give myself a bit of indulgence after my last paper on 14th April. There is this film, Adam's Apples, that I thought is more disturbing than the Da Vinci Code but might be a better platform to launch a discussion on the reality of God and the Devil.

Check out the synopsis

Adam is a neo-Nazi, paroled to the care of Ivan, a pathologically blinkered pastor whose faith is about to be shaken by Adam. Adam is challenged to bake an apple pie from the tree growing in front of the church. But nature takes its own course - birds, worms and lightning attack the apples. Ivan believes it is the Devil testing them. Adam on the other hand, thinks it is God himself, because perhaps evil does not exist at all. Written and directed by Anders Thomas Jensen, this twisted comedy was a huge box office hit in Denmark and received the Audience Awards both in Hamburg and Warsaw.

Oh well, maybe the danes just have a knack for sardonic humour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home