Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Life is a footnote

The funny thing about writing a thesis that is neither exactly long nor exactly short, is that you tend to relegate very well-written, important but nonetheless unrelevant works of others into footnotes. So I was talking a bit about Asian Values and soft power in one sentence, and then I realize that there is a whole smorgasbord of literature out there, and indeed one of the PS profs (whom I presume would be my 2nd marker) has written an excellent article about it. But there is no time and space for his wonderful erudition, so I've relegated him to one paragraph in my footnotes. Sigh, if I ever become a professor one day, I'll make sure my students would never put my works into footnotes. Otherwise, its a C+ straight away for them.

4 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hah! who's the tyrant here...

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.... at least i dun hang them by the noose!

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your posts Jimmy. =) Had a great read. Angel

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks angel! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home